* * * * H E L L O J A N U A R Y * * *
“…and so the adventure begins”
It’s a new year and it’s time for new beginnings. Not only should we set goals for ourselves, but we should create a plan of attack on how we are going to achieve them. And if you are still trying to figure out what you want to accomplish this year, take your time. It will come to you even if it’s three months down the line. I, myself, am still finalizing some goals of mine. I’d love to hear about your 2017 goals in the comments below!
Now, as I stated earlier, it’s time for new beginnings. On that note, this month’s must-haves are all about the basic things in our closet that probably need to be replaced going into the new year.
I took a look at my white (or at least when I bought them they were white) sneakers and did myself a solid and bought a new pair. Knowing myself, I decided against another pair of white sneakers because they probably wouldn’t stay white very long. After hours of shopping, I found the Nike Air Max Theas. When I realized they had them in my favorite color, olive green, it was a wrap. SOLD.
2. White t-shirt
So every once in a while, we need to replace our favorite go-to white tee. It’s been through a lot this year. There have probably been stains on it that took a few washes, bleach, and a prayer to get out. And at the end of the day, it’s probably not as bright white as it was when we bought it.
3. Bras and underwear
New year, new lift. Treat yo self by starting off the year with a new panty and bra set. We all know that feeling you get when your bra matches your underwear.
Makes us feel a little extra put together.
Okay, so our jeans are probably not old or anything but a girl can never have too many pairs, right? This year, go for a new style that you’ve never tried before. If skinny jeans are your thing, look for a pair of looser fitting boyfriend jeans. Switch it up!
This past Saturday, I was fortunate enough to be invited to Beautifully Bold, an event presented by CORE Magazine. Geared towards young girls, this event covered the do’s and do not’s of skin care, health, makeup, nails, and hair with a full panel of experts. I took over their Instagram account for the day to cover the event via live video and spoke to some of the panelists and influencers one on one about my own beauty needs.
There were sooooo many amazing things I learned from all of the experts, so I’ve complied a list below of the top ten things we covered that day. Some of these tips we already knew but needed to be emphasized again.
- Your eyebrows are NOT twins, they are sisters.
- There is no such thing as conditioning too much.
- If you are worried about the amount of acne building up on your face, cut out dairy for a week.
- Contrary to popular belief, EVERYONE should use sunscreen no matter how old you are or how much melanin you have. It is the best anti-aging cream!
- Putting gel on your nails can be a healthy way for them to grow, however, if not properly cared for, it can have a negative effect.
- The best time of the year to straighten your hair is in the winter. No humidity, no frizz.
- Never, EVER fill in your eyebrows with black.
- You have to properly prep your skin before putting on your makeup everyday.
- Co-washing is like rinsing with water and conditioning. It isn’t totally necessary to buy one, but doesn’t hurt either.
- Everyone has a different beauty routine that works for them. Don’t knock your own routine because someone is doing something different than you.
The Beautifully Bold event ended with a quick makeup tutorial showing how to do a fresh face for an everyday look and some giveaways. We also received a goodie bag full of hair products which I will post about soon!
Peep some pics below …
Unarthodox | Chelsea, NY
(From Left to Right)
Nail Artist: Melissa (works at The Nail Suite where Yoncé gets her nails done)
Skincare Expert: Seven Brown (owner of Harlem Skin and Laser)
Hair Care Experts: Monique & Yessenia (creators of the hair care line Curls)
Makeup Artist: Shani
Nutritionist: Michelle Maldonado
The lovely ladies that attended the event 🙂
A little fresh face tutorial
…aaaaaand a quick flick of the founders of CORE Magazine ❤
Peace & Love